Best Night Markets in Malaysia Ranked In 2022
Locals and tourists love the night markets in Malaysia.
If cookie-cutter commercialized shopping malls aren’t your cup of Kopi O, head out to the suburbs to experience Malaysian culture.
What Are Malaysian Night Markets?
Pasar Malam (Dutch: Nacht Markt or Avondmarkt) is an Indonesian and Malay word that means “night market.”
The word comes from the bazaar in Persian.
Located in the suburbs or residential neighborhoods, the Night Markets open from evening to 11.00 PM.
Why Are Night Markets Popular in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, Night Markets or Pasar Malam are night bazaars that are open-air street markets dedicated to leisure strolling, shopping, and eating.
If you’re up for some nighttime hunt, visiting the night markets is a must-do thing when temples, museums, and other attractions are already closed.
Let’s look at a few Malaysian cities where you can find Pasar Malam.
We look at Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Langkawi’s Night Markets. These are the 3 top cities visitors to Malaysia head to for their holidays.
Kuala Lumpur Night Markets
If you tire of the city’s shopping malls, head to Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman to experience the true meaning of Malaysian culture.
Kuala Lumpur’s night markets offer locals and international tourists an alternative escape from shopping malls.
You can find this escape along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (Jalan TAR).
The best places to shop for a mixture of locally made products can excite anyone; look out for handicrafts, accessories, jewelry, fashion pieces, and fresh produce,
Malaysia’s night markets have outdoor bazaars for you to drink in the atmosphere of shopping with the locals.
If you’re planning to visit Night Markets in Malaysia as part of your vacation, stay in a hotel with a rooftop pool or a homestay pool to make the most of your time.
Kuala Lumpur Night Market Location
- Bangsar Sunday Market (Every Sunday)
- Pasar Malam Sri Petaling (Every Tuesday)
- Pasar Malam Taman Dagang (Every Wednesdays and Fridays)
- Pasar Malam Jalan Hujan Emas O.U.G. (Every Thursday)
- Klang Lama Night Market (Every Thursday)
- Fiesta Nite at Plaza Mont Kiara (Every Thursday)
- Kampung Baru Night Market (Every Saturday)
- Happy Garden Night Market (Every Saturday)
- Pasar Malam Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (Every Saturday)
- Kasturi Walk (Every Night)
- Taman Connaught Night Market (Every Night)
- Jalan Masjid India Market (Every Night)
- Jalan Alor Street Food Night Market (Open 24 hours Daily)
Night Markets in Penang
The top thing to do at night in Penang is to go to Pasar Malam.
Penangites love to head to the night markets for the lively atmosphere and vibes.
Most head there early to try the abundance of food stalls with a wide range of tasty local dishes and snacks.
Night markets in Malaysia are your typical Grab’ N’ Go Dinner every day!
From the goods to the food, MacCallum Street Night Market has received a high reputation from locals.
The goods; sometimes it is too good to be accurate but hey, check it thoroughly before checking it out.
Food-wise, are you kidding me?
Penang is the heaven of food- be prepared for the fragrant juicy Satay, the sizzling sound of your best Char Kuey Teow unique taste of Nasi Kerabu, and the sweet smell of Apam Balik.
Enjoy the food and bargain at these great night markets in Penang.
Penang Night Market Location
- MacCallum Street Night Market (Monday)
- Tanjung Bungah Night Market (Tuesday)
- Farlim Night Market (Wednesday)
- Batu Ferringhi Night Market (Every Night)
- Jelutong Night Market (Friday)
- Sungai Dua Night Market (Saturday)
- Paya Terubong Night Market (Sunday)
Time: 7 PM – 10 PM
Langkawi Pasar Malam
Langkawi has more than Duty-Free Shopping for electronics, tableware, wine, cigarettes, and chocolate.
In the evening, the “Pasar Malam” (night market) in Langkawi attracts locals and tourists to hunt for products sold at discounted prices.
If you go on vacation to Langkawi, make sure to catch to famous for its night markets. The Night Market in Langkawi starts from 7 PM until 10 PM in different locations, and it’s the best because there is a night market every day, and you can eat the best food.
Whether you are up for fresh produce, street foods, native products, and other unique items find out if you can bargain at the night markets in Langkawi!
Langkawi Night Market Location
- Padang Matsirat Night Market (Sunday)
- Ulu Melaka Night Market (Monday)
- Kedawang Night Market (Tuesday)
- Pekan Kuah Night Market (Wednesday & Saturday)
- Temoyong Night Market (Thursday)
- Ayer Hangat Night Market (Friday)
- Pekan Kuah Night Market (Saturday)
Time: 7 PM – 10 PM
To truly enjoy the culture of Malaysia, you must expand your activities beyond only things done during the day.
Exploring famous buildings and attractions is fantastic, but the best of Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Langkawi doesn’t end when the sun goes down.
At night, you can enjoy the delicacies that Malaysia offers at several night markets in the cities.
Disclosure: TravelStylus curates the listings in our articles independently. However, some of the listings in this article may contain affiliate links.